I am researching to integrate a free microblogging functionality into my site. The following is from
What is Microblogging
Microblogging is a combination of blogging and instant messaging. Microblogging websites allow users to create a short message with 140 to 200 characters that is posted on their profile which gets broadcasted to their followers or friends instantly. These messages or updates can be submitted by a variety of means, including text messaging, instant messaging, email, digital audio or the web. These messages also can be received with a variety of computing devices, including cell phones. In short these Sites make communication fast and easy. Although most microblog broadcasts are posted as text format there are some microblogging services which allow video or audio posts.
When we hear the term ‘microblogging’ the site Twitter is what comes into our mind. But do you know there are plenty of other alternatives to Twitter. Given below are some great microblogging sites online.
1.Twitter: Twitter is the leader of the Pack and has become almost synonymous to microblogging. Twitter has popularized the concept of microblogging. It has changed the way people use the internet and has increased the time they use the computer. It provides many online activities from internet marketing, online diary updating, affiliate marketing, blog traffic generation and a lot more. The main success for twitter has been that it provides 3rd party developers to make application for it. Add me on Twitter
2. FriendFeed: Friendfeed is a microblogging site which is close on heals with Twitter with it’s a real time aggregator that combines instant messaging and microblogging. This Site also helps to consolidates the updates from social bookmarking websites, blogs and micro-blogging, social media and social networking websites and share it with your friends in the Site. Add me on FriendFeed
3. Tumblr: This Site is known for its simplicity and functionality. It is a combination of microblogging and social networking and allows you to post text, pictures, video, audio, chat and links. It also gives the option for members to customize their own page or even have their own domain names. The Tumblr updates are called tumbledogs. Add me on Tumblr
4. Posterous: Posterous is one of my favorite micro-blogging platform in this article and I use it to promote my articles. It’s extremely easy to set up and use; the only thing you need to get started is a working email account. Add me on Posterous
5. Plurk: Plurk is a combination of social networking and microblogging. The updates or messages in Plurk are called plurks. Members can send plurks to other members in the form of links to their blog posts or other sites and short messages. With Plurk you can network with other people who have the same interests as you are. However, I am yet to figure out how it works. Add me on Plurk
6. Jaiku: This Site has most features and functions are similar.
7. Sweetter: Sweetter allows members to broadcast about your activities and also follow other members. This site has a voting system where members can vote up the posts that they like while vote down those that they don’t want to appear higher in the index page.
8. Identi.ca: Identi.ca is a microblogging service that runs on an open source, Creative Common framework.
9. Brightkite: Brightkite helps members in connecting with the people and places around you.
10. Plerb: Plerb.com is a simple, free microblogging service and chat community where the member can connect with friends, meet interesting new people and find new business contacts.
11. Pownce: With Pownce I can post messages, links, files, or events which are viewable by friends and fans of an individual. Pownce also serves as an advertising channel.
12. Microblogr: Microblogr is a microblogging and social networking service allows instant collaboration with friends from the network using their SMS feature. It allows communication with members through their index page and also on their mobile phone if this service is activated by them.
13. Yammer: Yammer is a great tool for companies and organizations to update them of their member’s activities. This is an excellent microblogging tool for coworkers in any company or organization and the privacy of every member and the company is secured as those who can access are only those with a valid company email address.
14. Dailybooth: Dailybooth is a micro-blogging platform that deals only in pictures. The concept behind Dailybooth is to take and upload a picture of you everyday even if it is a bad hair day. It’s simple to use – you upload or email in your pictures and it’s done.
15. MySay: MySay is a unique microblogging platform where instead of text updates, users call MySay and say how they are doing today. Then, friends or family can listen via phone, e-mail, or the web.
16. Hictu: Hictu is a service for video microbloggers. A webcam and a mouse-click is all that is needed to create a video post here.
17. 12 Seconds: 12 Seconds is a micro-blogging video website.
18. Utterli: Utterli is a hybrid social media posting site where you can upload multiple types of media including voice files and post on a timeline.
19. Frazr: Frazr is a Twitter like microblogging site focused primarily on the French and German markets.
20. Rememble: Rememble is a ‘washing line’ for your digital bits and pieces. Thread together texts, photos, videos, sounds, scribbles, scans, notes and even tweets so they’re not drifting in a digital wasteland.
21. Mixin: Mixin is the place where people can easily share their micro-agenda like small info that is interesting when it is about getting organized with friends.
22. Spotjots: Spotjots is a microblogging service which combines geo location and mapping for real time sharing of information. Here a member can send in updates which are geo located and mapped out that can be viewed by the friends.
23. AQA2U: AQA2U is essentially a micro-publishing platform that allows premium-rate SMS mobile question and answer. Using AQA anyone can stay in touch with friends, fans and followers, making money for themselves or charities at the same time.
24. Open Microblogging: This is an open standard that allows users on different micro-blogging services to communicate with each other.
25. Meemi: Meemi enables one to share thoughts, links, images, videos on the web with friends easily.
27. You are
31. Adocu (nanoblogging service)
However, Even though there are over 40 Sites List to choose from a user may not be able to effectively use more than 5 sites. You can pick the sites which are best suited for your usage and concentrate on them.